Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday, Monday! Refreshing Perspective.

I might possibly be the luckiest girl in the world. Monday morning is no longer a deeply depressing time for me, as a matter of fact it's usually a day filled with productivity, anticipation, and promise. Obviously it wasn't always like this for me.

Every morning when I wake up I usually grab the old iPhone and thumb through Facebook status updates (this is my equivalent to flipping on the news). Most updates on Monday read something like this "Oh Monday, you dirty bitch"...etc. (this week's contributing writers...Ashley and Ali), "Where did the weekend go?", "Coffeeeee", etc.

It's a rare find to see anyone very inspired by the fresh start to the week. There are a few exceptions, usually presented in scripture by some of my more religious friends, but lately, there have been a couple of people who are just downright humble and grateful for what they have - and it has been quite a refreshing change to read their posts when they are surrounded by deeply depressing and gloomy sentiments. So to Jeff and Kristen - thanks for always keeping the glass half full, and for the occasional Springsteen lyric.

Now onto more shallow subjects. Saw both District 9 and 500 Days of Summer this weekend. District 9 was good - although I'm not nearly as in love with it as everyone else seems to be. For example, a person whose opinion I value very much said the social commentary was done well and not at all heavy-handed - but I found the whole thing a bit cliche. That said, the story did move well, and was entertaining...although if you have as strong a gag reflex as I do...be prepared to watch through your fingers. It's still a go see - if only to make sure you're not the only one at the party not in on the conversation.

500 Days was great. I get the feeling it's the kind of movie you don't mind watching over and over. I also really like that it's unconventional, and by being unconventional, completely realistic. There are so many more "what could have beens" than happy endings in our real lives. And certainly many more unrequitted heartbreaks than movies usually portray. A refreshing perspective.

Thanks for reading!

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment